- I pledge to become an Upstander by standing up to bullying whether I'm at school, at home, at work, in my house of worship, or out with friends, family, colleagues, or teammates.
- I will work to make others feel safe and included by treating them with respect and compassion.
- I will not use insulting or demeaning language, slurs, gestures, facial expressions, or jokes, about anyone’s sexuality, size, gender, race, any kind of disability, religion, class, politics, or other differences in person or while using technology.
- I will state my disagreement or discomfort about people’s differences in ways that are respectful rather than insulting or demeaning.
- I will encourage my peers, family members, and colleagues to do the same and will speak up when they use prejudiced language about any group for any reason.
If I see or hear behavior that perpetuates prejudice occurring:
- I will speak up! I will let others know that bullying, cruelty, and prejudice are abusive and not acceptable.
- I will reach out to someone I know who has been the target of abusive actions or words and let this person know that this is not okay with me and ask how I can help.
- I will remain vigilant and not be a passive audience or "bystander" to abusive actions or words.
- I will reach out to someone I think might be suffering from abusive actions by others to offer my support and make it a point to spend time with him or her.
- I will tell everyone who is in a position of authority in this group, such as a teacher, coach, caregiver, manager, or religious leader, about what I saw and heard and make sure there is follow-up.
- I will seek help from trusted friends, colleagues, professionals, and other resources if I don’t know what to do or need support to take action.
If I learn in person or online that someone is feeling very depressed or potentially suicidal:
- I will reach out and tell this person that his or her life has value and is important, no matter how she or he feels at the moment and no matter what others say or think.
- I will strongly encourage this person to get professional help.
- I will get professional help about what to do myself if I am worried that someone might be considering suicide.